Canary Islands swarm in progress

Hello Dears,

An interesting (short) article regarding the seismic situation in Canary Islands last days.

La Palma

Best for You.

Louis.

6 Likes

@Louis : should be of interest to you : TeneguĂ­a volcano: Authorities warn of possible volcanic eruption on Canary Island of La Palma | Science & Tech | EL PAĂŤS in English

2 Likes

@SismoLaure

Merci… Thank you…

Interesting how here seismology is being used to track a potential volcanic hazard rather than try to predict a seismological hazard per se. While I appreciate why magma movement might create lots of small earthquakes, I still wonder about the mechanism by which deep magma is forced upwards in the first place - would that require a larger earthquake to open the main route, perhaps more than one too? Could be that such larger earthquakes were actually long ago and not captured by modern monitoring? It certainly looks as though the magma will reach the surface eventually this time (and become lava)! Hopefully just exciting, not damaging…

2 Likes

Sometimes (I wrote “sometimes”) you can find interesting things on Facebook. So it is with the page :
INVOLCAN (Volcanology Institute of the Canaries) Facebook’s page

At the same time, there has been a resumption of the swarm in recent hours.

1 Like

Cumbre Vieja de La Palma

Eruption in progress in La Palma

2 Likes

Wow! This eruption is really something :scream:

The seismograph is impressive : Redirecting...

1 Like

And for those interested in the eruption: here’s a compilation of info : Resume eruption La Palma RL20Sept2021.pdf - Google Drive

2 Likes

Good evening or day,
is there a connection between the eruption on la palma and the quakes in the mediteran sea?
example : ||35.38 N ; 3.59 W Depth|30 km
36.65 N ; 7.60 W Depth 50 km
35.60 N ; 3.65 W Depth 10 km
Is this a magma pocket or are we getting a new vulcano?

2 Likes

Hey @wouter, I’m not an expert but I’d say it’s a bit too far to be linked, no?

1 Like

Hello @Bakou9 ,
I know, but they went active almost at the same time. And if I looked at it with the interactive maps view it was all nicely grouped.
I’am just looking for an answer to understand it. I am also not an expert, but it intrigued me

1 Like

Can I ask your opinions on this array pattern?

My humble opinion is that was filmed during an earthquake… at least…

L.

1 Like

Yes indeed it is a bit shake isn’t it.
I’m guessing it’s the algorithm in how the system is spacing the seismic activity in the visual.

Got me a bit worried for a bit.

Data of latitude and longitude are rounded at two decimals on EMSC.

Give a look at local data (via INVOLCAN) to check what is, at least, a fake new…

L.

2 Likes

Map of earthquakes during last 30 days (source IGN Spain)

IGN web site

3 Likes

INVOLCAN has a Facebook page with many regular (but a bit random!) updates and including discussion of ongoing seismicity. Worth following anyway I think :slight_smile:
https://www.facebook.com/INVOLCAN
The INVOLCAN website has loads of information too, but harder to find?
https://www.involcan.org/guayota-la-palma/ weekly seismic summary.

2 Likes

Very different tectonic setting and quakes mechanisms too I think?!

3 Likes

I recently found out this very interesting paper on La Palma eruptions and earthquakes. I remembered of our discussion and thought you may like it :wink:

https://www.copernicus.eu/en/news/news/observer-copernicus-eyes-la-palma-eruption

It’s a good wrap up I guess :wink:

@DAC @Louis @JayBone @wouter and others :slight_smile: