Have you been in an earthquake drill before ?

In many contries, since elementary school, children are taught how to respond to emergencies like earthquakes and fires. The primary goal of these drills is to help create an easy to remember yet life-saving physical response in case of a dire situation. Unfortunately, what these drills did not prepare children for what was the correct or safe mental response. Since emergencies can occur in many different situations and environments, how we mentally react in these situations has tremendous impact on our physical response. :point_down:

Learn more: https://safetymanagement.eku.edu/blog/mental-responses-during-emergencies/?fbclid=IwAR0YwESEJOzMwnsCI_ezMpPiiBj_Al3RoCcjt7Dglw2hRnZX7ZoyJIf5VgM

Have you ever participated in an earthquake drill? How useful was it? Tell us :star_struck:

4 Likes

yes i have

@iceninepiel9 How war it ? What did you do ? Do you think that what useful ? :slight_smile:

Yes for two years through the ShakeOut earthquake drill

1 Like

Hi @volcanolgistKellieMyers :hugs:
Could you tell us more about the drill activities you were involved in ? :pray: I’m all ears and excited to know more about that!

2 Likes

Yes. In March, disaster and emergency management presidency (AFAD in Turkish) had conducted earthquake drills in all private and public schools as a part of earthquake awareness week. So I had one in my school.

How was it like ? How did the kids and teachers react ?

1 Like

they did what they were told :blush: :blush:

1 Like

I’m sure they did do what they were told. But what they were told included “ignore the protective device in front of you and squat beside it, not under it”. Which isn’t much help.
I doubt that one of those desks would have prevented being crushed if the building pancaked. But if it was just the lighting and possibly “suspended ceiling” which came down they would have been effective.

2 Likes

I haven’t been involved in an earthquake drill, but a number of years ago when I was volunteering at the OILC (offshore worker’s trade union) there was a 5.1 in the median rift structure in the North Sea … which was moderately concerning when I got the notification in my morning emails before going into the office.
We had no reports of anybody noticing anything, which means the impacts on the platforms were smaller than a regular (8-10m) wave, it being a normally “lumpy” day. No reports of equipment downhole malfunctioning, or even of pressure spikes in pipelines through the area.
Which was moderately confidence inspiring.
I’ve worked in more seismically active areas too, so the question keeps coming back to me, but unless the fault actually ruptures the wellbore, or knocks over a crane in the process of being set-up, I doubt we’d have a direct effect unless it was a really major quake very close to the rigsite, with ground accelerations upwards of about a “g” (9.8m/s/s) . Most of our equipment is designed with an x3 or x4 safety margin, and is dismantled, moved to a new location and re-erected on a regular basis - which would probably show up any deficiencies while the crane is literally attached. But it is an issue to be considered.
Floating equipment has to deal with tide and current changes, so needs multiple metres of flexibility built in, which renders ground accelerations a moot point.

It’s not a major concern, but it’s something that some of us do keep a watching brief on. In a very seismically active zone, I’d have “earthquake response” in the emergency plan, but mostly in terms of shutting the well in, performing a BOP function test, checking the people in the accommodation for injuries from moving furnishings and that sort of thing.
In many countries, we’re more likely to be providing emergency medical response than needing it. Typically we’d have multiple trained first-aiders on site, and possibly even an actual doctor. We had to deal with shark injuries once, which is also a low-probability event.

4 Likes

National Earthquake Drill is planned in Turkey on 12th November 2022 ! :tr:

Is anyone here planning to take part ?

1 Like