Am I at risk?

Do you know if you’re living under sismic risk?
One of the way to know that is to check historic data.
The other thing is to check the social vulnerability of the place you live in. Indeed, what’s killing more are damaged infrastructures and you need to consider how ready institutions are to face a crisis situation.
This is why the GEM has launched a new map to assess that:

Find our more: https://www.globalquakemodel.org/GEMNews/press-release-svr-launch-ur2020-3dec2020

And learn about what you can do to get ready!

5 Likes

By the way, if you want to find out why some buildings fall during an earthquake check this resource out: Building Resonance: Structural stability during earthquakes- Incorporated Research Institutions for Seismology

In short:

• All buildings have a natural period, or resonance, which is the number of seconds it takes for the building to naturally vibrate back and forth.
  • The ground also has a specific resonant frequency.
  • Hard bedrock has higher frequencies softer sediments.
  • If the period of ground motion matches the natural resonance of a building, it will undergo the largest oscillations possible and suffer the greatest damage.
1 Like

When I “hung out” on USENET:sci.geo.earthquakes I would occasionally deflect the (mostly) American correspondents attention away from California’s small concerns to my prediction that the first documented million-casualty EQ would be on the Himalaya frontal thrust, with a southward sense of overthrusting, and most of the casualties being in the Indian cities of the Ganges plain.

I’d dropped USENET by the time the 2004 Boxing Day quake approached my criterion, but I still think my logic is good. Hopefully the quarter million casualties of the tsunamis then will reduce the body count in big tsunami in the next generation, though at least some people realising what is happening fast enough to do something about it.

1 Like

There’s a lot more going on in that map than just earthquake risk. They’re also assessing degrees of ability to recover from a quake, and a lot more.

The high hazard ratings assigned to Mozambique and South Africa, which stop at the Tanzanian border, and the contrast between Ethiopia and Somalia, without a significant geological contrast, were what made me look twice.

2 Likes

Yes hopefully people learn from these types of disasters :pray:

1 Like

I don’t know whether it is related with your post. but I would like to share it anyway. I hope it helps :point_down: :point_down:

Building Resonance: BOSS model construction & use

Interesting ! Thanks for sharing :slight_smile:

1 Like