And always La Palma...

Hello !

This Sunday, October 24 at 16:53 UTC, there were exactly 400 earthquakes in CSEM-EMSC database for the last twenty-four hours in the world.

Half of them (precisly 200) had occurred in the Canary Islands region.

And earthquakes “swarm” is always ongoing.

L.

3 Likes

but the picture is very different if you apply ‘magnitude filters’. The global M>4 map that I check regularly doesn’t often get so impacted by swarms, although plate boundary swarms do happen sometimes (Mexico most recently) and can lead to 2-3 times more M>4 in a day than ‘normal’. Never gets into the 100s though (thankfully I would say!).
I did notice a deep M4.7 magnitude quake in the Canaries the other day, that seems different enough from typical volcano swarm quakes - does it mean something is happening in the deep magma source for the current eruption?
So much information hiding in those quake records and maps!

Hello @DAC

For the last month, for the depths, the average is 13,98 km, with maximum of 49 km (ML 4.5) and minimum of 2 km.

For magnitudes, we have an average of 2,88 with maximum at ML4,7 (three times at 1x38 and 2x40 km)

But we all know that in seismology the figures are treacherous … and we make them say what we want … “despite” 2700 records involved in those statistics…

Regards.

L.

Nice chart Louis, really does look like there is separation between the shallow and deeper seismic activities, very tempting to think that there is a deeper magma chamber feeding a shallower one beneath the eruption? I am further tempted to ‘see’ that the largest earthquakes are the deeper ones, but don’t know why that should be? Presume 40+km is well below the Moho for oceanic plate like in the Canaries, whereas the shallower focused quakes would be well within the crustal plate.
Seisimic data isn’t really treacherous, it just doesn’t like to give secrets away easily?!
Thanks again for taking the time to produce the fascinating graph.
Best regards Dave

1 Like